|Metric Conversion Table|
Title: Part III: Converting using the Metric System
Grade Level: 6th Grade (can be adapted for other grade levels)
- Ask students basic questions about different units of measurement that are equivalent. (For example, 12 inches in one foot.) Explain that conversions can be done in the metric system.
- Show the Metric Conversion Table on a Power Point Slide. Students will copy it.
- To remember the chart, give students the mnemonic device “King Henry Doesn't Usually Drink Chocolate Milk.” See if any students can come up with their own saying.
- Explain how chart can be used to know which direction decimals are moved when converting
- Demonstrate sample problems.
- Do sample problems as a class.
- Give students problems to do independently.
- Metric Conversion Table Power Point Slide
- Notebook Paper and Pencil
- Computer with Projector
- Sample Problems for students