Click the following links for each part: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V
Title: Introduction to Metric System
Grade Level: 6th grade, can be adapted for any grade level
- Students will be able to state the difference between the metric system and the English system.
- Students will be able to give examples of the units of linear measurement, volume, and mass.
- Ask students for examples of measurements they already know about.
- Explain the history of the English System. Pick 2 volunteers to be the “kings.” Use them to demonstrate how the units of measurement would change once there was a new king. (For example the students would have 2 different shoe sizes, so the measurement of a foot would change). Ask students why this would be a problem and give suggestions to resolve this problem.
- Explain units of linear measurement, volume, and mass using a Power Point Presentation.
- Explain importance of metric system.
- Show Metric System chart (shown above).
- Students will take notes on the Power Point.
Materials: Power Point Presentation, Notebook, and Pencils
Assessment: Ticket out the door: Students will write at least one thing they learned. Students will write something they are confused about or have a question on. Hand in before they leave.